Qualicum Beach Memorial Golf Club Junior Program 2020
Children are the future of golf. Our junior program (including instruction classes) is focused on kids of all ages and ability. We want to introduce as many kids to our sport as we can while passing along our passion for the activity. During the membership, your child will be given full access to the golf course with unlimited golf, while the instruction is offered by our team of PGA of Canada Professionals. They will learn correct fundamentals of technique, good practice techniques, sportsmanship, rules of the game and proper conduct on the course.
The junior program at QBMGC is conducted by the pro shop. The fiscal year for the club is March 1st until February 28th.
Orientation Day – Wednesday April 15th 5:00pm to 6:00pm
Parents bring your kids, golf clubs and come find out what our program offers. It is a good time to meet us, ask questions about our membership and instruction programs. Bring your clubs and hit balls or play golf. No cost to parents and kids.
Age 12-18 years
Advantages of being a junior member are:
- 8 day advance booking privilege, unrestricted tee times
- Guest rate available for guests playing in their group
- Discount on driving range punch card. $50 – 25 small buckets.
- 10% off golf shop merchandise
- Establish a Golf Canada handicap index
- Invite to Qualicum Beach Skills Challenge June 20
- Opportunity to compete in Zone 6 (north island tour) and Provincial junior tournaments
- **a child under 12 can be in this category if they have ability to play 9 holes**
Cost $225 + GST and Golf Canada fees
Age 6-9 yrs
This category was created to introduce young golfers playing golf on the course. Our course has “play it forward tees (yellow)” to play from and our third green situated near the clubhouse. This allows you to play 3 holes in 45-60 minutes, quite often all the junior wants to play, even though you may play as many as they like. Some restrictions apply.
- Access to the course is after 5pm or when there is no pressure on the first tee
- Must be accompanied by an adult, adult can play for free, max three members per adult, 1 adult per group
- Tee times are subject to availability
Advantages of being a junior/ junior are:
- Professional Instruction program included, 8 classes and 1 Golf Night
- Accompanying adult plays for free
- Discount on Driving Range punch card $50 – 25 small buckets.
- 10% off Golf Shop merchandise
- Invite to Qualicum Beach Skills Challenge June 19th
Cost $160 + GST = $168
Qualicum Junior/ Junior Lesson Schedule
8 week Program
Wednesdays 3:30 -4:30PM April 22nd, April 29th, May 6th, May 13th, May 20th, May 27th, June 3rd and June 10th.
Girls & Boys Club Lesson Schedule
This class is designed for juniors ages 10 to 13 years of age. Plenty of on course training with an emphasis on etiquette, rules and strategy.
8 week Program
Wednesdays 4:45-5:45 pm April 22nd, April 29th, May 6th, May 13th, May 20th, May 27th, June 3rd and June 10th.
Qualicum Beach DRIVE/ CHIP & PUTT Challenge
Wednesday June 10th
All junior students are invited to participate in our first annual competition. This is a skills challenge similar to the drive chip and putt competition put on by Augusta National G.C site of the Men’s Premier Golf Major, the MASTERS, as seen on the Golf Channel. This event will be followed by a pizza party on the golf course patio to present prizes. Complimentary for all junior members and junior/junior participants.
Sponsored by the QUALICUM BEACH MEN’S 18 HOLE CLUB- Ernie Bentley golf fund
Junior Golf Equipment
We are committed to providing our junior members with the finest quality golf equipment. The U.S. Kids Golf program and The Callaway Junior Club Program are aimed at beginning junior golfers from the ages of five to fifteen. A 5 – 7 piece set range in price from $150-$350. Junior golf bags and individual clubs are also available.
The trade in trade up program is where we will take your clubs back in as trade in $50-$90 in value, this then can be taken off the price of their next set up clubs. Also at times we have used equipment for sale.
When choosing a set of golf clubs, make sure they are of reasonable quality. There are many different factors to take into consideration, such as the weight, balance, length, shaft type and flex, grip size and club head size. Habits start early on in a golfer’s life. Clubs that are too heavy and too long will affect theses habits negatively.
For the Parents
The Restaurant at the golf course is a great place to relax and enjoy a lunch and drink special while you wait. Outdoor seating is also available, with its scenic ocean views. The restaurant is always open to the public.
If the Pro shop does not have an inventory item in stock you are looking for, special orders may be made on most junior equipment.
The friendly staff of Qualicum Beach Memorial takes great pride in its junior members and building the junior program for years to come. The junior program could not take place without the following team members;
- Neil Bidewell, Head Golf Professional, PGA of Canada
- Steve Busswood, Assistant Golf Professional, PGA of Canada
- Larry Quiring, Pro Shop Assistant
These staff members are always available to answer your questions.